Friday, September 10, 2010

weekend perfection


Having visitors gives me a good excuse to check out places in the city that I normally wouldn't go to. With an old coworker in town for the long weekend, I managed to hit up Kerry Park, Golden Gardens, and Discovery Park, as well as a few good restaurants.

Of course, no visit to Seattle would be complete without a round of food grazing at Pike Place Market. I've been there many times now, but it still retains its charm. With three people, we were able to try a few interesting places without exceeding our stomach capacity. Perfect! Last time I was at the market, I kept ogling all the people who were walking around with these enormous, delicious bread/bun-looking things.  Turns out they were piroshkys, which are indeed delicious bread creations. Other highlights included Japanese-style hot dogs and grilled sandwiches from Three Sisters Cafe (yes, we like our carbs). We finished with an espresso from the Chocolate Box to wake us up from our carb-induced stupor.



We took a break from being foodies to see the scenic side of Seattle. The view from Kerry Park was pretty stellar - I would love to go back at sunrise or sunset, or even with just a zoom lens (I only had my 35mm) to get some more shots. And I think we were all pleasantly surprised to find out that Golden Gardens is neither a Chinese restaurant nor a garden, but a rather nice beach.



The day ended with dinner at Shiro's, a great Japanese restaurant just a few blocks away. The unassuming decor and location belie the quality of the food - the sushi was incredibly fresh and the service was impeccable, if a little fobby (herro!).




If all visits are this perfect, I'm looking forward to hosting more guests :)

1 comment: