Thursday, September 23, 2010

fly me away


It's nice to have a change of scenery occasionally, and it seems that I picked a good weekend to get away from Seattle. While it was pouring rain back in Washington, I was enjoying the (mostly) fabulous weather in LA. I got in some great sightseeing (Getty Villa, Venice Beach, Griffith Park, Hollywood Bowl), as well as some great meals (Orochon Ramen, shaved ice in Rowland Heights, Apple Pan for burgers!). More to come on those.

On the topic of different cities, I recently read this very thought-provoking article. I've had many conversations on how cities shape people and how cities have a unique energy and atmosphere, so this essay really struck a chord with me. I'm still trying to decide how to describe Seattle - there is certainly a lot of ambition here, but it's not the wealth or power-driven ambition of New York and Silicon Valley, respectively. I almost want to describe it as a very down-to-earth kind of ambition, if that makes any sense. There is a noticeable lack of pretension here, which I find to be a refreshing change from New York (as much as I love NYC!). Any thoughts from my 4 readers? Haha.

I leave you with some photos from my weekend.




2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing that link. great read, indeed. i think one part i might disagree with is what the author said how it doesn't matter where you go to college. maybe in the long run, it doesn't, but i definitely think living in an urban environment for those 4 years largely shaped my interests/hobbies (read: food/photography :P)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! you are funny about your 4 readers. i am sure you have more than that, although i feel the same way about my own blog =)

    i live in LA and cannot describe the personality of this place. i visited seattle twice and LOVE it - what you describe is definitely what i felt about your city, except it only drizzled for one day and was sunny for the rest of the week that i was there.

    btw, beautiful images on your blog. i guess i'll be your 5th reader =)

    ReplyDelete