Tuesday, December 7, 2010

serenity now

Do you ever have those moments where you just feel at peace with the world? When all your cares seem to float away and you just feel happy to be right where you are at that exact moment? Those moments don't come along too often, but when they do, it's a great feeling.

I had one of those moments this weekend, which was a particularly beautiful one in Seattle - mild temperatures and blindingly sunny blue skies. With an empty Saturday morning ahead of me, I decided to cross off another item on my list of places to go and drive out to Gasworks Park. Being surrounded by beautiful scenery, you'd think I would eventually stop being impressed by water and mountains and skylines, but the view from Gasworks really blew me away. The first thought that entered my mind when I reached the top of the hill was just "Wow." The entire city of Seattle just appears before you, accentuated by a beautifully designed sundial where YOU get to be the shadow-casting object (called a gnomon, for anyone who cares. Thanks Wikipedia!)

As I was staring out across the water, with the warm sun shining on my face, I felt a peaceful contentment come over me. I've had my ups and downs since moving to Seattle, but in that moment, I felt like everything was going to be all right.   


After my zen moment passed, I amused myself by exploring the rest of the park, which contains the remains of the park's namesake gas manufacturing plant. I kept blinding myself by taking shots of the sun, but I'm a sucker for those flare pictures :) More to come on my coffee shop adventure of the week in my next post!


Gasworks Park
2101 N Northlake Way

1 comment:

  1. aw i know those feelings. i love feeling super small and overlooking something much grander. really puts things in perspective.

    speaking of perspective, love that last shot!!

    ReplyDelete