Saturday, December 18, 2010

a beautiful cup of coffee

Winter can be awfully depressing when you're as far north as Seattle is (it's even further north than Maine, as a benchmark for you East Coasters) - the rainy days and early sunsets can leave you yearning for light and color to break up the gray monotony.  Last week was a string of dreary days, so my visit to Espresso Vivace was a welcome pick-me-up.

It was a serendipitous encounter - I happened to be on the block for another errand when the sign caught my eye. Then I recalled that a co-worker had told me that the Espresso Vivace location by the REI store was the best espresso he had found so far in Seattle. I knew I had to pay a visit.

Espresso Vivace has built up quite a name for itself in the area, and it's known for its high-quality espresso and rigorous attention to the roasting and preparation process. I'd actually been to one of their other locations, a little road-side stand in Capitol Hill, but I didn't remember being particularly wowed when I tried it a few months ago. This time, though, I went for an unusual drink that I spotted on the menu, a cafe nico. The barista rattled off the ingredients - espresso, steamed milk, cinnamon, orange, vanilla - and I was sold.

Vivace's slogan translates to "a beautiful cup of coffee," and boy, do they take that seriously! The latte art was so gorgeous that I almost didn't want to spoil it by taking the first sip. But the drink is as delicious as it is beautiful. The great espresso is brightened by a hint of orange and warmed up with a little cinnamon. This may be one of my new favorite drinks.



Espresso Vivace
Alley 24
227 Yale Ave. N

2 comments:

  1. wow that is some pretty art! and i'd be sold on those ingredients for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish there was a place near me that had such gorgeous coffee art. I'm determined to find out!
    Until then, I can live vicariously through you and your gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete