Wednesday, December 22, 2010

lunch for one

I'm fortunate to have a job where I have the freedom to work from home if nothing requires me to be in the office (what a great change from i-banking!), so I decided to make good use of my free time this week by doing some daytime exploring. Volunteer Park Cafe popped up on Yelp as a good lunch spot, so off I went on my weekday adventure.

When I arrived, I was dismayed to find that the cafe had lost power that morning, leaving me with a limited selection of cold sandwiches and pastries to choose from. It was a cute place though, so I decided to stick with my original plan. Luckily, my patience was rewarded! The power returned soon after, and I got my hot panini after all :)


I loved the home-y feel of the place - peeking through the kitchen doorway, I could see the chefs hard at work making pies and other yummy goodies. The long wooden communal tables and candle jars also added to the coziness, like a Pottery Barn catalog come to life. The exterior is equally cute, with a backyard garden with real live poultry running around (hm, did I just eat one of their brethren in my chicken sandwich?). As a final treat, I snagged a cherry chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. Ah, if only every weekday lunch could be this good!

 Volunteer Park Cafe
1501 17th Ave. E.

3 comments:

  1. so many cute places near you! that sandwich looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. continue to blog posts like this! they're a delight to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an adorable cafe. the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete