Tuesday, October 5, 2010

take comfort in rituals


Some weekends are great because they're new and exciting. Other weekends are great because they're comforting and familiar. This past weekend was a combination of the two - on one hand, I tried a few new things like oyster shucking (harder than it seems) and rock climbing (easier than I had imagined). But I also fell back on my tried & true weekend rituals of brunch & coffee, albeit in a slightly more unfamiliar part of town.

On the topic of familiarity, I'm trying to do at least one thing a week at work that's a little out of my comfort zone. It doesn't have to be big, but I think continually challenging myself helps me overcome my natural inhibitions & fears, and it also keeps me from stagnating. Sometimes the hardest part of change is just gathering enough momentum to overcome inertia. Like a worn-in pair of jeans or a PB&J sandwich, familiar things are soothing in their very banality and it's hard to give up that comfort. Pushing the boundaries of my comfort zone can be stressful, but I'm often surprised at how easy things can be once you get past the initial uncertainty. It's like breaking the ice with a stranger - the conversation might be awkward at first, but wouldn't you rather have a chance at making a great connection than never knowing what could have been? 
 
Terribly slow service, somewhat redeemed by great brunch food.
Coffee break at Victrola (great pour-over coffee). We also found a coffee table book on NYC storefronts that made us nostalgic...


Couldn't resist getting salted caramel & olive oil this time, but definitely want to return for balsamic strawberry.

1 comment:

  1. i feel the same about pushing my boundaries and going out of my comfort zone. doing two of those things this week - attending a book tour signing party where i will attempt not to be super awkward, and going to a food forum dinner party where i know no one but the person bringing me. eeks!

    ReplyDelete