Sunday, August 15, 2010

settling in

It seems that all the pieces are starting to fall into place.  Apartment? Check. Car? Check. New friends? In progress.

The car buying experience really reinforced that I am an extremely unskilled negotiator. I purposely avoided taking negotiations class in college because the thought of having to prepare for a graded negotiation every week made me nervous, but in retrospect, those classes would have been a hell of a lot more useful than, say, chronobiology. I think my problem is that I have difficulty putting myself in another person's shoes. I mean, to me, negotiation is all about understanding where the other person is coming from so you can use that to your advantage. I wonder if that's something you can learn...? At the very least, the next time I make a major purchase, I'm doing my research beforehand. If I can't understand people, I should at least understand the product I'm buying :P

Tonight's dinner by the waterfront was a perfect ending to a beautiful (and HOT) weekend. I'm still amazed that I can see this view from my apartment. I hope I never become desensitized to this beauty...I'm reminded of a quote from into the wild:

"I’ve decided that I’m going to live this life for some time to come. The freedom and simple beauty of it is just too good to pass up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment