Tuesday, February 1, 2011

new york, i still love you (part i)

I made my long-awaited trip to New York this past weekend, and despite getting mellowed out by my time on the West Coast, I still found myself irresistibly drawn in by the energy and excitement of the city. Damn you, New York - you will always hold an allure I can't deny.

I tried to maximize my limited amount of time by checking off a few long-standing items on my "to visit" list. One of the places I had been eyeing since last year was Locanda Verde, Andrew Carmellini's much praised Italian venture in Tribeca.

It's a beautiful venue, if a little cramped. I felt like I was being squeezed in my corner of the booth (and I'm not a big person...), but the food was effortless and satisfying, and the highly anticipated sheep's milk ricotta lived up to expectations.

Despite the rustic decor, it was definitely a New York scene.  I could spot the finance guys with their well-heeled girlfriends, downing $13 cocktails with their brunch fare (gotta ease the pain of 90 hour weeks with alcohol, obviously). And one of my dining companions reported back on some unfolding bathroom drama, as she overheard one girl consoling another who was in tears, Gossip Girl style. But what's the fun of New York without a little drama?



Locanda Verde
377 Greenwich St.
New York, NY  

4 comments:

  1. hahahah love the bit about the finance guys + gossip girl feeling.

    also love the picture of the pouring syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh nyc. i know the feeling. while i've never lived there, i've visited my sister there plenty a time. i always miss being there!

    but now you are in seattle! i must admit, seattle was on my list of possible-places-i'd-love-to-live...before i had my baby. i guess it's still on that list, but the list just isn't entertained anymore :) it's lovely there.

    your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Locanda Verde is pretty awesome, but it's funny to hear someone visiting New York say that it felt a little cramped. by my standards, this place is HUGE. i'd expect it to be bigger for the price, but i'm thinking of places i like in the east village where you're practically sitting on top of other people. you picked a crazy time to visit NYC, although maybe you missed one of our many storms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, love your photos. went to new york last spring and i'm already planning a return visit. will have to jot down some of your suggestions before going.

    ReplyDelete