Sunday, July 17, 2011

the pantry

After a long hiatus, I finally mustered up enough motivation to do a proper post. While I have been busy with various travels, I have to admit that the main reason I've neglected this space for so long is just sheer laziness :) But the fantastic cooking class I attended at The Pantry last week deserved a real post...so hello, I'm back!

I've been a big fan of the Orangette blog for years, so when I heard that her restaurant Delancey was opening up a space for cooking classes and community dinners, I pounced on the opportunity and signed up for their first cooking class, Back to the Basics.


The whole experience was great - a beautiful space, great teachers, and of course, amazing food. I have 2 words for you: homemade butter. I had something of a butter epiphany when I tasted it, like all the other butter I have tasted in my life was just a semblance of the real thing. Dramatic? Yes. But it was really that good. Who knew it's as simple as putting some good quality cream into a mixer?


The menu was focused on simple but tasty basics, like roasted chicken, roasted spring vegetables (with more of that amazing homemade butter), a salad with mustard vinaigrette, and vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce to finish. It was a lovely way to spend a Sunday evening - I'd love to try one of their family style dinners next time.






1 comment:

  1. Shouldn't there be posts from Hawaii and Texas and wherever else you've been going?

    ReplyDelete